Apr 29, 2014

Beautiful B-Sides Part 1: When the Title Track Fails


Being someone who consumes a lot of music and listens to a lot of albums, I often come across songs that I cry over not being promoted as title tracks. Seriously, there are so many good b-sides. Therefore I wanted to share with you some of my favorites, while I weep silently over the wasted potential.




First up we have pretty much every song on EXO's debut album except the tragedy that was Wolf. To this day, I cannot understand why that song was even on the album, because that was basically the only bad thing about it. Masterpieces such as Black Pearl, My Lady, Don't Go, Peter Pan or the beautiful Baby Don't Cry were all flawless and the reason I love the album as much as I do. Like honestly, this album was (excluding Wolf) absolutely stunning and an amazing debut album from these boys.



SM continues making strange decisions about promotional songs with Why So Serious being chosen as the title for SHINee's Misconceptions of Me album. Literally every other song on that record was better. I personally loved Like A FireEvil, Nightmare and the hauntingly gorgeous Orgel. I seriously recommend listening to these songs, I can promise you they will change your life.


After School  most certainly made heads turn with their pole dancing skills last year for First Love, but I didn't find the song itself very special at all. The mini album however, was brilliant. Dressing Room was my jam for at least 2 months, as well as club banger Love Beat and pop perfection hit Time's Up.
While "First Love" was not bad in any way, it was a Brave Brothers track, and we all know what that means.



While I did like Block B's latest comeback, their promotional single Very Good was not actually that great. I mean, I liked the video and loved seeing the live performances because they were so energetic and fun, but I wouldn't listen to the song all by itself. The rest of the mini album was close to perfection though, and I loved literally every other song on it. Be The Light was without a doubt one of my favorites from last year, and while it did get a video and a few live performances, I would have wanted it to be the title instead. Nice Day and When Where What How (ft. Jo Hyuna) were both amazing songs too.



There you have it, some of my favorite b-sides from albums with disappointing title tracks. Stay tuned for next part where I will share some hidden gems, that is the most spectacular songs you've never heard before!

No comments:

Post a Comment